Monday, November 23, 2009

Not Quite New Years Resolutions

Awhile back I confessed that I am lacking in the department of discipline and made a list of ways I'd like to improve. Since then, I wish I could tell you that I have made great strides in the endeavor to join the ranks of the greats such as my mother, but I'd be lying and I don't want to add another fault to my already long list.

As I have been contemplating the fact that nothing has changed, I realized that perhaps a game plan is in order. Typically things don't just magically get better overnight for me, I usually have to work on them and be disciplined to become disciplined. What a conundrum (actually I don't think that's the right word for this context...). I am not disciplined. I want to be disciplined. In order to be better at being disciplined, I just have to be disciplined, no easy formula-- JUST DO IT.

So here is what I've been thinking. Tackling all of my issues at once might be overwhelming and result in the quickest path to failure. I don't want that, so I've decided to begin with two small steps. I've resolved, for instance to stop spending money on eating out from here until I go home for Christmas. There are a few exceptions, because without a little wiggle room, again I fail miserably. When I am at work I can buy my food at lunch, and the occasional eating out with a friend or what-have-y0u is permissible. What I am trying to do is avoid ordering take-out for most meals which is something I must admit I have resorted to lately. I figure if I take this step, I will not only be spending much less money, I will be eating healthier- Bam! two points on my undisciplined list! The second goal I have set for myself is to stop watching tv. Again, just from now until I go home. I don't know about you, but shutting my brain off for a few hours during the day while I allow mindless, often offensive drivel take over, is my heaven on earth. I haven't watched so much tv since summers during grade-school, and quite frankly I don't like what it is doing to me. Seriously, online tv has been the key to my undoing as I idly sit by and allow my brain melt into mush. Therefore, I must cut it off! Again I have to have wiggle room and that comes in the form of Biggest Loser my current favorite show. I feel that an hour and a half a week can't do too much harm, plus I just love watching those shrinking, happy people! Anyway, I figure I am opening up my time to be more diligent with school work and read more often. I am currently sitting at Barnes and Nobles and am about to buy a few books that I am so excited to read. They include: David McCullough's 1776, and C.S. Lewis' books 'Till We Have Faces' and 'Letters to Malcom'. I am betting that C.S. Lewis might be better for the sharpening of my mind than watching the on-going battle of 'The Hills' idiots. Seriously, do you or have you ever watched that show? It's basically a contest as to who can create the most drama for themselves via the most pointless and shallow relationships.

Well, there you have it, after all the rambling, my two pre-new years resolutions! Notice I am only holding myself to these until Christmas, so hopefully I should be able to stay strong!

3 comments:

  1. I think that's so smart to give yourself an ending point. It makes it seem attainable and then by that point you probably won't care so much about eating out or watching tv. If you'd just said I'll never eat out again or never watch tv again that would have felt impossible. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah that's how it's been for me with the no sugar thing. I have been tempted a few times but knew I'd be so dissapointed in myself if i didn't make the already planned goal of Thanksgiving. Now it really has gotten easier in the last few days, that's why I think I might go for another round! (of course it also reallly helped that all of you are doing it to and I don't want to be the failure of the group)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Mands. You're doing awesome!
    I can't wait till you come home!!!!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete